- The game does a wonderful job of getting the right balance between being challenging and fun, which in turn makes the game very enjoyable.
- They have nailed the fast-paced gameplay to perfection. Everything feels so smooth and fluid, which in turn keeps things from getting boring.
- I was a massive fan of the presentation side of the game. Visually the cartoony graphics look great and the music accompanies the gameplay very well.
- The game is very easy to pick up and play, and they never seem to complicate things, which allows you to focus on the fun gameplay.
- The game offers you quite a substantial amount of tutorials, and they actually make the tutorials fun, which is a bonus.
- The single player can be a little lacking at times, and the game is definitely best enjoyed when playing with friends.
- I would like for the games to be longer and not be forced to finish quickly, so I’m not a massive fan of the screen shrinking.
- The characters in my opinion are a little bit small, and at times they can be difficult to follow due to their size.
All in all I was very pleased to find out that SpeedRunners was due to be included in this month’s games with gold, and it was just as fun and enjoyable as I thought it was going to be. What the game does expertly is that it gets the balance spot on between being challenging and fun at the same time. This balance In turn makes everybody enjoy the game, which is fantastic. They have done a wonderful job with the gameplay, and the fast-paced action is both smooth and fluid. I just wish that I could have the choice of continuing the game for as long as I want instead of being forced to finish at a certain time. The game boasts a very fun and informative set of tutorials, which is a nice inclusion and this should set an example to other games in the genre. SpeedRunners is definitely at its best when played with friends, and the matches I have had have been cut-throat to say the least. There is a single-player mode, but I found this to be extremely lacking and nowhere near as fun as the multiplayer. The presentation side of the game is very pleasant, and I think the visuals and soundtrack are perfect for the style of gameplay. At the end of the day if SpeedRunners was not part of this month’s games with gold I would still recommend you to pay for it. It has a certain charm about it, and while it’s not perfect it will still have you coming back time and time again.
I rate SpeedRunners 7.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: DoubleDutch Games/tinyBuild
Release Date (Xbox One): June 1, 2017.
Price: Free with games with gold. £11.99 after.