- The career mode is absolutely fantastic. It has a wealth of content and it does a great job of rewarding your progress the whole way through.
- The game offers a huge amount of replay-value. This is especially profound in the Your Stage mode, which will have you coming back time and time again.
- The visuals and audio are simply awesome. I was especially impressed with the audio because they have made everything sound very realistic.
- The handling of the cars feels absolutely superb. The realism is second to none, and they have captured everything almost flawlessly.
- The game offers you a very good learning curve and tries to cater to all styles and abilities of every gamer.
- There are lots and lots of different events and challenges to sink your teeth into. Each different event feels like it has had a lot of love and effort put into it.
- I would have liked to have seen more locations added. Don’t get me wrong the locations look great, but there’s only 5 locations.
- The AI sometimes doesn’t seem to offer any variation in their approach to races at times.
All in all I didn’t think Codemasters could have improved on last year’s brilliant DiRT Rally, but amazingly they have managed to make a significant improvement with DiRT 4 and they have somehow made it even more realistic, which is fantastic. The career mode has definitely been upgraded this year, and it boasts a fantastic amount of content which can keep you entertained for hours. Another thing that has improved is the amount of replay-value the game has. The Your Stage mode basically offers you an unlimited amount of replayability, and the best thing is that you never seem to get bored. DiRT 4 also offers you a huge variety of challenges and events, and each event feels very different from the other and you can tell a lot of effort has gone into them. It’s just a shame that you can only race at 5 locations, but at least these 5 locations are packed full of detail. What DiRT 4 does differently to DiRT Rally is that it offers you a better learning curve. DiRT Rally was very difficult at times, and it looks like they have took notice of that and tried to accommodate all skill levels. The presentation side of the game is spot on, and offers a great sense of realism. I was especially fond of the audio design, which has been done to perfection. The realistic audio accompanies the realistic feel and handling of the cars fantastically well, which makes for an unforgettable experience. At the end of the day DiRT 4 is a must buy for any fans of racing and rally games. It’s the most realistic game to date in terms of feel and how cars react to certain weather conditions, and the amount of replay-value is off the charts. This game manages to satisfy for hours and keeps you coming back for more.
I rate DiRT 4 9/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Publisher: Deep Silver/Koch Media
Release Date (Xbox One): June 6 & June 9, 2017