- I was a big fan of the story and I found that it leant the game a certain charm. The little notes that are left are full of different emotions, which definitely connect with you.
- Slime Rancher allows you to explore the game at your own pace, which is nice and this keeps things interesting especially when finding new species.
- The cartoony visuals suit the game very well. The bright colours make the world feel stylish without being to overbearing.
- I like how Slime Rancher is played from a first person perspective and I feel this makes the game unique when compared to other farming games.
- The gameplay in Slime Rancher is very addictive and they have done a good job of making all the little jobs that you do feel like they matter.
- When you have taken part in all the things that you can do then the game unfortunately gets a little repetetive, and it can become boring.
- I felt the game lacked a decent challenge at times and that did cause me to lose interest sometimes, which is a shame.
All in all when it comes to farming games I am not overly a big fan of them because once you’ve seen one you pretty much have seen them all, thankfully Slime Rancher is different. Slime Rancher has added a few unique twists here and there and frankly it’s a breath of fresh air for the genre. Normally you don’t have much of a story with these types of games, but Slime Rancher has a story that’s told through notes, and I found the notes to carry with them a lot of emotions and it gives the game a certain charm. Another thing I enjoyed was the first person perspective outlook that they have included. This is a unique approach and I think it works very well for the game. The gameplay is both addictive and repetetive. They do a very good job of making all the jobs you do matter, but unfortunately once you have done each said job the game can get a little boring, which is a shame. They try to combat the repetetiveness by allowing you to explore at your own pace, and for the most part this allows you to forget about the lack of challenge the game has. The presentation side of the game is very colourful and stylish. The bright colours fit the game perfectly and the music is nice without becoming to overbearing. At the end of the day fans of farming games will get a great deal of pleasure from Slime Rancher. I also think that Slime Rancher will create new fans of the genre because of its unique ideas. It’s not a game for everyone, but I am not a massive fan of these types of games and I enjoyed this game, so that should make you want to give it a try.
I rate Slime Rancher 7.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Monomi Park
Publisher: Monomi Park
Release Date (Xbox One): August 1, 2017
Price: Free (Games with Gold)/£15.99