- The game is packed to the rafters with content so you will definitely keep coming back for more and you will end up sinking a lot of hours in.
- The story in the game is excellent and will keep you hooked throughout. The main reason why the story is so good is because the writing is very imaginative.
- I found the level design in the game to be very good. The locations allow you to explore greatly and at times it can look really beautiful.
- The combat can be really good and fluid at times. When everything falls into place the combat has a unique edge to it and you find it very rewarding.
- The controls in the game are excellent and they have done a really good job of making this PC game feel right at home on the Xbox One.
- The loading times unfortunately feel like they go on forever, and while this is a minor problem it can at times hurt your immersion.
- I noticed that the frame rate can drop considerably at times, and this can cause you some frustration.
All in all when a game comes out originally on the PC you find a lot of times that it’s never quite as good when it comes to console, thankfully that is not the case when it comes to Pillars of Eternity. They have managed to create a port that feels like it belongs on consoles and that’s evident straight away with the controls. The controls are great and never feel awkward, and they have done a very good job of putting in every little detail like the PC version has. If you like games that offer you hours and hours of content then you will love this game, and the good thing about the content is that it never seems to get boring which is great. The content is also accompanied by an excellent story, and this story remains fascinating from to start to finish because the writing is so interesting and imaginative. The game allows you to explore everything and the levels you explore have been designed with love and attention, and visually they look awesome. The only frustrating thing about the levels is that when you go from place to place the loading times can be very long. It’s not a massive problem, but I would like to see a patch that make the loading times considerably less. They combat the loading times by offering you decent battles and I found the combat to have a unique side to it, especially when everything clicked. At the end of the day Pillars of Eternity is a game that can be put right in the excellent tactical RPG pile. This game rewards exploration and it offers you a lot of freedom which makes the game even more memorable. This game is without a doubt one of the best ports I have played in recent years and I thoroughly recommend you check it out.
I rate Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition 8.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Obsidian Entertainment/Paradox Arctic
Publisher: Paradox Interactive
Release Date (Xbox One): August 29, 2017