- The One mode is actually pretty decent and they’ve done a good job of giving it a realistic side to it, and most important of all it’s a fun mode to play.
- The inclusion of the WNBA teams is a great addition. This will definitely bring more fans to the table and a lot of effort has gone in here.
- The visuals in the game are very good and at times you feel like you’re playing with the actual real players, which is great.
- The basketball gameplay is very simple to learn, and has an arcade feel about it. The gameplay held up throughout and it was very fun and enjoyable.
- There is a huge amount of content for you to sink your teeth into. Each mode plays well and is considerably different, so there is a huge amount of replay value here.
- While I think they have done a great job with the WNBA teams, I would however have liked to have seen a few more modes for them.
- The animations in the game can feel a little awkward at times.
- The game crashed on me a few times, this mainly happened on the NBA Draft.
All in all I was very pleased to learn that NBA Live was making a comeback, and the main reason for that is that it breaths new life into the basketball genre. Thankfully NBA Live 18 is one of the best games in the series in years, and it’s a very good alternative to NBA 2K. The One mode that the game is based on is a very good addition to the series, and they’ve managed to make it fun and interesting throughout, which is great. Another great addition to the game is the inclusion of WNBA teams, and I like that they have put effort into the teams. I would have liked to have been able to play more modes with the WNBA teams, but for now it’s a very good start. The basketball gameplay definitely has an arcade feel to it, and this is something I really liked. The basketball in this game is a lot less complicated than in NBA 2K, which means newcomers can play the game with ease. NBA Live 18 has a huge amount of content for you to get to grips with, and they have done a brilliant job of making each mode matter and this lends the game a huge amount of replay value. The presentation side of the game has been done really well. Visually the game looks awesome and looks very realistic, the animations however need a little work on them. The sound design is very good and makes you get even more immersed in the action. At the end of the day I appreciate all that NBA Live has done, and in my opinion if they keep improving each year then NBA 2K has some real competition here. Without a shadow of a doubt this is the best Live in years and you can tell a lot of thought and effort has gone into this addition. Yes the game may not be perfect, but it’s heading in the right direction and it gets a big thumbs up from me.
I rate NBA Live 18 8/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: EA Tiburon
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Release Date (Xbox One): September 15, 2017