- If you like gameplay that offers you good RPG elements with challenging battles then this game has you covered. It’s very cleverly designed, which keeps things fun.
- The story is something I really enjoyed about the game. It has a dark and eerie feeling about it and they do a wonderful job of keeping things interesting.
- The voice acting in the game makes the story even better. In fact the sound design on the whole is brilliant, with the music immersing you brilliantly into the game.
- The game has a great amount of variation when it comes to the quests you undertake. Many quests feel different and exciting, which is great.
- There is an abundance of customisation to sink your teeth into, and this customisation allows you to cater to what you want to do.
- The camera caused me a great deal of frustration throughout my playthrough. It felt awkward and never went where I wanted it to.
- At times you can certainly tell that this game was originally made for the PC.
- The art style in the game is a little bland, and unfortunately nothing here is memorable.
All in all if you’re a fan of tactical games that allow you to tweak a lot of options then Blackguards 2 will definitely tickle your fancy. It’s a game that has a lot of things going for it, and whilst it may not be perfect the RPG elements allow you to have more enjoyment than disappointment. The game has a number of battles that are both challenging and immersive, and when combined with the RPG elements and tactics there is a great deal of fun to be had here. The camera though can take away the fun factor at times because the awkwardness of it does cause a lot of frustration, which is a shame. The game has a great deal of variety when it comes to the customisation and quests you undertake. This variation allows you to add your own personal touch and keeps things fresh throughout. The story in the game is something that surprised me a great deal, and thankfully it surprised me in a good way. I never expected the story to be so interesting, but it definitely is interesting and at times it had me on the edge of my seat because it was that gripping. The presentation side of the game is good in some areas and bland in others. The art style never did anything for me because everything you see is something you have definitely seen before. The sound design however is fantastic and the voice actors do a good job of making you connect even more with the story, and the accompanying music sets the mood brilliantly. At the end of the day they have done a good job of bringing Blackguards 2 to consoles. At times you can tell that it was originally meant for PC, but these times are few and far between and everything else has been done really well. This game is definitely a game I enjoyed quite a lot and the tactical side of the game is perfectly executed, so it gets a recommendation from me.
I rate Blackguards 2 7.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Daedalic Entertainment
Publisher: Kalypso Media
Release Date (Xbox One): September 19, 2017