- The shoot ’em up gameplay has been done very well. It’s challenging and rewarding at the same time and everything feels tight and responsive.
- There is a huge amount of customisation you can do in the game. You can literally change everything and this gives the game replay value.
- The presentation side of the game is something that I really liked. The visuals and music have a real retro feel to them, and it enhances the gameplay very well.
- I found the campaign in the game to be very good and I never found myself getting bored because they got the length just right.
- They have done a very good job of catering to all skill levels. There are multiple difficulties, so everybody can play.
- I would have liked a tutorial to be included in the game because there are a number of things to get to grips with.
- There is a lack of modes in the game and it definitely could have done with a few extra modes.
- There isn’t enough content here to justify the price tag they’ve set, and the price will put some people off.
All in all I have been playing shoot ’em up’s for a number of years and I’m always excited when another game gets added to the genre. Thankfully Battle Garegga Rev.2016 is a good addition to the genre, and the most important thing is that they’ve nailed all the basics. The gameplay is very fun and remains tight and responsive throughout which is very important in a game like this. I did however feel a little confused when playing the games at times because there’s a lot to take on board, so I was very surprised by the lack of tutorials. The campaign in the game has been done really well and there’s just enough to keep you satisfied throughout, some more modes would have been a welcome addition though. The game allows you to experiment with a lot of customisation options and this means you can tweak and change a lot of things which allows you a great sense of freedom. They have also done a good job of catering to a number of different gamers, and the inclusion of a number of different difficulties gives the game some replay value. There isn’t however enough replay value to justify the price tage though. The presentation side of the game is perfect in my opinion. Visually the game has a lovely retro style going for it, and this for me enhances the gameplay. I was also a fan of the music in the game and it never got on my nerves, which is great. At the end of the day Battle Garegga Rev.2016 is a game that I enjoyed quite a lot, and it does a great job of capturing the old-school shoot ’em up style. This game is really only for fans of shoot ’em up’s so it’s not for everybody, but fans of the genre will find a lot of enjoyable moments here. Battle Garegga Rev.2016 is a game that ultimately gets a recommendation from me, but I would however wait till the price of the game comes down.
I rate Battle Garegga Rev.2016 7.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Publisher: M2 Co., Ltd.
Genre: Action/Shoot ‘Em Up
Release Date (Xbox One): September 29, 2017