- The puzzles in the game were done really well and there is a decent amount of variety with each different puzzle, which in turn keeps things fresh.
- There is a decent amount of content for you to sink your teeth into and with 75 levels to get to grips with it means the game is good value for money.
- I was a massive fan of the presentation side of the game. The visuals are where I enjoyed the game the most and I think the retro style is perfect.
- The difficulty spikes in the game are balanced perfectly in my opinion and this meant that I didn’t get frustrated very often.
- Thankfully the controls in the game stayed fluid and responsive throughout which is very important in a game like this.
- I would have liked to have seen a little more variety in the level design because it does end up getting a little bit samey.
- There wasn’t much in terms of a story and I think a decent story would have given the game an extra layer and made it even better than it already is.
All in all I love it when a game surprises me in a good way and without a doubt Fearful Symmetry & The Cursed Prince surprised me in a good way. I must admit that I didn’t expect to enjoy this game as much and the main reason I enjoyed it so much is because it got a lot of the mechanics right. The puzzles which play a massive part in the game are absolutely perfect and the clever design plays a part in each individual puzzle. They have also managed to get the difficulty spot on and by doing this it means you don’t get frustrated very often when taking on the puzzles, which is great. Another important thing in a game like this is the controls and thankfully they remain both fluid and responsive throughout, which means you can focus solely on the tasks at hand without worrying about any problems. I must admit that I was surprised with the amount of content the game offers you and without a doubt you definitely get value for money. There are 75 levels for you tackle and some of them are pretty fun, but I would have liked to have had a little more variety with the level design. I would have also liked to have had a bit more in the way of a story and I think more of a story would have made the gameplay even better. The presentation side of the game pleased me a great deal and it also has the added bonus of stirring up some fond memories, especially when it came to the visuals. The visuals in the game have a real retro look to them and they complement the gameplay ever so well. At the end of the day Fearful Symmetry & The Cursed Prince is definitely a hidden gem. It’s a game that creates a very enjoyable experience and it makes you want to revisit time and time again, which is pretty rare with game’s like this. There is a little bit of everything in the game and this means that Fearful Symmetry will attract a number of different gamers. Also the price of the game is spot on and in a way undervalued and when it’s all said and done this game gets a massive thumbs up from me.
I rate Fearful Symmetry & The Cursed Prince 8.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Gamera Interactive
Publisher: Soedesco Publishing
Release Date (Xbox One): December 12, 2017