- The story does a good job of keeping you invested throughout and that’s mainly down to how interesting the characters are in the game.
- There is a huge amount of content for you to sink your teeth into and the content on the whole is pretty good, so there is a lot of replayability.
- I found the mechanics in the game to be done very well and I especially enjoyed the crafting system and monster capture system.
- The sound design in the game is actually pretty good and I think the voice actors have done a good job of making the story come alive.
- Unfortunately the game suffers with a number of technichal issues and these technichal issues never seem to subside, which is very frustrating.
- Visually the game can look awful at times and this can really hurt the immersion that the game is trying to create.
- The enemies you face in the game lack variety and I never felt trully challenged because they always seemed to do the same move time and time again.
All in all RPG’s are something that I’ve spent a great deal of time playing in my life and for some reason once I start playing a decent RPG I can’t stop. There have been many wonderful RPG’s over the years and whilst Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament can not be placed in the higher echelons of RPG’s it can still be a pretty decent game at times. One thing that really stands out in this game is the story. The story is very enjoyable from start to finish and the characters really bring the story to life. An important aspect of a decent RPG is the amount of content it serves to you, and thankfully Xuan-Yuan Sword delivers a great deal of enjoyable content for you to sink your teeth into. You will notice though that the longer you play the game the more technical issues it suffers with and unfortunately these issues can be very frustrating and distracting at times, so a patch or two is definitely needed. The mechanics that are included in the game are both interesting and very solid. Each different mechanic works together in perfect harmony and I must admit that I was especially impressed with the crafting system and the very well thought out monster capture system. On the whole the game does have a decent amount of variety going for it, but it does lack variety when it comes to the enemies you face. The enemies pretty much do the same attack every time and this means the game lacks a challenge at certain points so things can become repetetive and tedious. The presentation side of the game is definitely a mixed bag. On the one hand you have some excellent sound design and in my opinion the voice actors did a wonderful job. Unfortunately the same can’t be said about the visuals and they just look ugly throughout your time with the game, which is a shame. At the end of the day fans of RPG’s will find more than enough to keep them occupied here, but if you’re new to the genre then there are much better RPG’s for you try before tackling this game. Don’t get me wrong the game isn’t bad it’s just that it has too many niggling problems to call it a great game. I will say though that when all aspects of the game start clicking then you are provided with an enjoyable experience and for that reason it does enough to get a recommendation from me.
I rate Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament 7/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: DOMO Studio
Publisher: E-Home Entertainment Development
Release Date (Xbox One): January 24, 2018