- The presentation side of the game is unique in every single way and the visuals and sound design make you enjoy the game quite considerably.
- The world in which the game takes place is brilliant and you want to explore every inch of it because there’s always something new to find.
- I was very impressed with the level design in the game. Each level has had a lot of thought and effort put into it and this makes the gameplay stand out.
- I must admit that the story surprised me quite a bit because I didn’t expect it to be this good, but I was very wrong because it’s intriguing throughout.
- The platforming elements in the game are very well done and everything about the gameplay remains responsive thanks to the very good controls.
- I found the camera to be a little awkward at times and getting it in the position you want often took quite a while to achieve.
- The difficulty curve can tend to spike out of nowhere at times and this can cause you some frustrating moments.
All in all Fumiko! is a game like no other and it has unique elements running throughout the game, which in turn means the enjoyment levels can be off the charts at times. I thought I’d seen it all with games over the years, but Fumiko! makes you realise that you definitely haven’t and this without a doubt is the game’s biggest selling point. I didn’t expect there to be much in terms of a story, but surprisingly there was and guess what it was fantastic. The story managed to keep me invested throughout and that’s very impressive because the game has a good length to it. The world in which the game takes place in is absolutely stunning and when you explore it gets even better because there’s plenty for you to find. Whilst exploring is absolutely brilliant I did however have a few problems with the camera. The camera can be very awkward at times and it can be difficult getting it in the place that you want so expect a little bit of frustration here. There are a number of levels for you to sink your teeth into in this game and the level design in each level is great. Every level has tons of variety going for it and without a doubt you can tell that a lot of thought and effort has gone into the levels. In terms of the gameplay everything feels great and the platforming elements feel solid throughout. I had a great deal of fun jumping around trying to complete the levels and the very good controls keep the fun factor very high. Whilst the gameplay is extremely fun it can however be extremely difficult at times so expect to get stuck from time to time and that will cause you some frustration but it never seems to get out of hand, which is always a good thing. The presentation side of the game is some of the best I’ve ever experienced in a game. Visually the game is weird and wonderful at the same time and everything stands out in a good way. The same can also be said about the sound design which makes things become immersive flawlessly. At the end of the day if you’re somebody who’s bored of the same things and you’re desperate to try something new then look no further than Fumiko! . It’s a game that tries to think outside the box and the most impressive thing is that it doesn’t have many shortcomings, which means the game stays unique and enjoyable throughout and this means the game gets a massive recommendation from me.
I rate Fumiko! 8.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Fumiko Game Studio
Publisher: Fumiko Game Studio
Release Date (Xbox One): February 23, 2018