- The atmosphere the game creates is fantastic and on the whole the presentation side of the game creates a very immersive experience.
- There is a massive amount of content for you to sink your teeth into and the best thing is that the content has a lot of variety, which in turn keeps things fresh.
- I found the gameplay to be very addictive and that was mainly down to the mechanics that are present in the game working together perfectly.
- The replay value in this game is off the charts and with the amount of upgrades that are available you won’t get bored with this game for a long time.
- I really enjoyed the combat that was present in the game because it offers a deep and satisfying feeling when in battle.
- The game can be a little too difficult at times and some frustrating moments do happen from time to time.
- I found the controls to be a little too complicated and knowing what to press caused me a few problems especially at the start of the game.
All in all rewarding RPG’s are game’s that make you want to sink huge amounts of hours into them because in the end it’s worth your time and effort. Darkest Dungeon is a game that takes this rewarding method and places it throughout the very addictive experience it creates. The gameplay is absolutely perfect in my opinion and that’s mainly down to how the mechanics perform throughout your time with the game. Each different mechanic offers something towards your experience and whilst it may be a little too difficult at times I was easily able to look past this because it also felt fair at the same time, which is very rare in games of this ilk. In terms of content this game will have you satisfied for a huge amount of hours and the main reason why it keeps you satisfied is because the content has variety dotted throughout. This variety means the replay value is off the charts and without a doubt I can see this being a game I will revisit time and time again and the best thing is that I can’t see myself getting bored anytime soon either. There are a number of different elements I really enjoyed, but the combat elements are what stood out the most for me. The combat has a great amount of depth going for it and this made being in battle a pleasure to get involved in and ultimately some of the most enjoyable combat I’ve ever experienced. I didn’t really have too many gripes with the game because most of what was here was spot on, but I did have some difficulties with the controls that were present in the game. The controls were responsive throughout and they held up really well, but I must admit that they were very complicated at the start. This over-complicated style can cause you a few frustrating moments and I definitely would have liked them to have been simplified somewhat. The presentation side of the game is wonderful in my opinion. The visuals and sound design combine together to create a dark atmosphere and this atmosphere is fantastic to be apart of. At the end of the day I knew I was going to enjoy Darkest Dungeon because I’ve heard nothing but good things about it, and now I know why. Without a doubt this is one of the most rewarding RPG’s I’ve ever played and it’s also one of the most addictive RPG’s I’ve ever played which has ultimately culminated in me already sinking a great deal of hours into it. If you’re a fan of RPG’s then Darkest Dungeon is a must buy and if you’ve never played an RPG before then this game is not a bad place to start at all.
I rate Darkest Dungeon 8.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Red Hook Studios
Publisher: Red Hook Studios
Genre: Action RPG
Release Date (Xbox One): February 28, 2018