- To say I enjoyed the presentation side of the game would be a massive understatement because both the visuals and sound design scream retro.
- The gameplay has been done really well and in my opinion they’ve got the perfect balance of being fair and challenging at the same time.
- There are some very interesting mechanics present in the game and I was especially impressed with the season-switching mechanic.
- Exploring the fantastic levels in the game is definitely worth it because there is always something rewarding around the corner.
- In terms of variety the game has quite a bit and I especially found that to be the case when it comes to the enemies you face during your time with the game.
- Whilst the controls hold up pretty well throughout your playthrough I did notice at times that they didn’t feel as precise as they should have been.
- The levels on the whole are very good but in my opinion there a little on the long side.
- Upgrades and unlockables are a little too expensive and they take ages to get, which is a shame.
All in all old-school platformers for me never get old and I still play a few classics to this day. Unfortunately though there hasn’t been that many new game’s that adopt the classic platforming formula over recent year’s, well that is until now. FOX n FORESTS the new platformer out on Xbox One takes the old-school platformer style and brings it back to today’s modern surroundings, and guess what? It’s awesome to say the least. Everything about this game screams retro and the gameplay stands up to any modern platformer in my opinion. The gameplay brings back a lot of nostalgic moments and they have got the perfect balance of being fair and challenging at the same time. You will also notice that the game also has a lot of variety present throughout and I found this to be especially the case when it came to the enemies. Each enemy has its own unique style and being challenged by them never gets dull. In fact the whole game never gets dull and that’s thanks to the exploration you can do in the game. Exploring the levels gives you lots of rewards and trust me you will need these rewards because upgrades and unlockables are expensive, in fact they’re a little too expensive which in turn can cause you a few problems every now and then. Thankfully though the problems aren’t too severe and you can easily look past them thanks to the game’s nice level design. The levels in the game have all had a lot of thought and effort placed into them and if they were a little shorter then they would be absolutely perfect. Don’t get me wrong the length of the levels isn’t a major problem it’s just that they can drag a little at times. I was able to look past the length though in the end and that was thanks to the interesting mechanics that are in play throughout the levels. Each mechanic plays an important part in your progress but the one that impressed me the most was the season-switching mechanic. This mechanic gives the game a unique flavour which in turn keeps things fresh and interesting for longer. Another thing that keeps the game fresh and interesting is the presentation side of things. Visually the game ticks a lot of boxes for me and the amount of charm present in the art style is off the charts. The sound design also has a lot of charm going for it as well and it combines with the visuals extremely well, which is great. At the end of the day FOX n FORESTS is a game that I thoroughly enjoyed my time with and even though it has a couple of shortcomings I fully recommend that you give this game a go especially if you like retro platformers that follow and improve the old-school style.
I rate FOX n FORESTS 7.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Bonus Level Entertainment/Independent Arts Software
Publisher: Euro Video Medien
Release Date (Xbox One): May 30, 2018