What I liked:
- The presentation side of the game shines bright in all areas and I must admit that I especially loved the game’s beautiful and fantastic art style.
- They’ve implemented the easy to pick up and play style extremely well and the simplistic controls stop things from getting too complicated.
- Whilst the game can be a little too difficult at times I actually think they got the balance pretty much spot on, which in the end did make the gameplay more fun and enjoyable.
- The strategy elements may not be the best I’ve ever come across but I actually enjoyed them a lot because often the approach they go with is actually pretty clever.
What I didn’t like:
- When played for long periods the game does get repetetive quite quickly so I would recommend that you play this game in short bursts.
- In terms of depth the game doesn’t have a great amount and this makes the slow pace of the game stand out even more.
- Each island looks and plays out the same way and a little bit more in terms of variety would’ve been nice to have here.
Does Bad North do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all Bad North did intrigue me quite a bit because the art style which I had seen definitely tickled my fancy somewhat. Thankfully after playing the game for a bit quite a few of the game’s aspects tickled my fancy, but it’s far from perfect and it does suffer with a few noticeable shortcomings. That being said it does get more right than it gets wrong and when the strategy elements flow and combine with the gameplay you do end up having a fun and enjoyable time. I will however recommend that you play the game for short bursts though because it does get repetetive after a while and I think that’s because the game suffers when it comes to the lack of depth and variety in some areas. If you’re like me and you enjoy a good strategy game every now and then, then you will enjoy what Bad North has to offer and whilst it won’t be the best game you’ve ever played in this particular genre it still does enough to justify a recommendation from me.
I rate Bad North 7/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Plausible Concept
Publisher: Raw Fury
Release Date (Xbox One): August 28, 2018