What I liked:
- The presentation side of the game does a great job of creating an immersive experience and both the visuals and sound design combine together well.
- I really enjoyed the story that was present in the game because not only was it fun but it also held my interest throughout my time with the game.
- Combat in the game is very fun and has plenty of depth to it so I ended up being satisfied most of of the time when in combat.
- Each character you can play in the game has had a lot of thought and effort placed into them and that meant playing as each different character felt rewarding.
- The RPG mechanics have been implemented really well and in some ways they do have a unique side to them.
What I didn’t like:
- Unfortunately the game suffers with quite a few technichal issues.
- There isn’t a lot in terms of variety when it comes to the enemies you face in the game.
- The puzzles aren’t anything ground-breaking and some are a little on the basic side.
Does Shadows: Awakening do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all Shadows: Awakening is a pretty good RPG that offers you some unique and interesting takes on a tried and tested formula. It combines these unique and interesting elements together extremely well and this filters into the combat which is fun and exciting to say the least. Another aspect of the game that’s also fun and exciting is the story that’s been implemented. The story keeps you invested throughout your time with the game and it also makes you want to play as each character. You’ll be pleased to know then that playing as each character is well worth your time because there’s a lot of thought and effort gone into each character. Technically the game isn’t too bad but it does suffer with a few issues every now and then which can be a little annoying from time to time. That being said I was able to look past these issues pretty easily in the end and when it’s all said and done as far as Action RPG’s are concerned Shadows: Awakening is definitely a good addition to the genre.
I rate Shadows: Awakening 7.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Games Farm s.r.o.
Publisher: Kalypso Media
Genre: Action RPG
Release Date (Xbox One): August 31, 2018