What I liked:
- The presentation side of the game impressed me a great deal because both the visuals and sound design have the look and sound of a AAA title at times.
- I really enjoyed the story that was present in the game because it kept me interested throughout and I can’t wait to see where they go with it next.
- Whilst the puzzles aren’t really challenging I still enjoyed them because they combined with the story extremely well.
- There is a decent amount of variety when it comes to the locations you can visit and this does keep things fresh and interesting.
What I didn’t like:
- I struggled at the beginning of the game because it was a little confusing and this may put some people off.
- A little bit more in terms of exploration would’ve been nice because it is a little linear and it doesn’t offer much in terms of freedom.
- The episode was a little too short for my liking and a little bit more in terms of content would’ve been nice because the content that is here is very good.
Does Elea – Episode 1 do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all I love the episodic genre because if the story has been done well then it always makes me look forward to the next episode. Elea – Episode 1 thankfully contains a very interesting and in some ways unique story and when you get past the confusing beginning you end up becoming very invested in the tale the game is delivering to you. For some people though a story is not enough and you often find that episodic game’s don’t feature much in terms of gameplay. Elea – Episode 1 also doesn’t feature much in terms of gameplay but thankfully the gameplay it does have is actually pretty good so I was easily able to look past the lack of gameplay. Another aspect that made me easily able to look past the lack of gameplay is the game’s presentation. I’m not exaggerating when I say that sometimes both the visuals and sound design make the game have a AAA feel and this without a doubt makes the game become even more immersive and in the end this makes it quite easy for me to give the game a solid recommendation.
I rate Elea – Episode 1 7.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: KYODAI LTD
Genre: Action Adventure
Release Date (Xbox One): September 6, 2018.