What I liked:
- I really enjoyed where the story took me throughout my time with the game and the characters within the story were brilliant and made the story stand out.
- Whilst the presentation side of the game isn’t the best I’ve ever seen I still liked what both the visuals and sound design had to offer.
- There is a decent amount of variety present in the gameplay and the classic approach they’ve implemented keeps you coming back for more time and time again.
- The combat is thoroughly enjoyable because each battle feels very creative which in turn kept the combat fresh and interesting throughout.
- In terms of content the game has a decent amount for you to be getting on with and this content takes place in a fantastic world which means you never get bored.
What I didn’t like:
- This series is known for its difficulty and there’s no change here so expect to get frustrated every now and then.
- There isn’t really anything different and you do get the conclusion that the developers played it really safe.
Does Valkyria Chronicles 4 do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all it’s been a long time since the last Valkyria Chronicles and I must admit that I didn’t think that a new game was coming to the series, but I’m glad Valkyria Chronicles 4 did finally make it because it was without a doubt worth the wait. If you like a charming and immersive story full of interesting and unique characters then you will love what Valkyria Chronicles 4 has to offer because it really does deliver a tale that’s absolutely brilliant. This isn’t the only brilliant thing either and if you’re a fan of the series then I’ve no doubt that you’ll be more than satisfied with the gameplay. There are a variety of missions for you to get to grips with and the combat that’s present in these missions is very creative which makes it stay fresh and interesting throughout. You will however have to deal with a challenge when it comes to the gameplay though and you will suffer with a few frustrating moments because the difficulty can be a little overbearing at times. That being said I enjoyed the challenge and when it’s all said and done I enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles 4 a lot on the whole and it definitely gets a big thumbs up from me.
I rate Valkyria Chronicles 4 9/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Release Date (Xbox One): September 25, 2018