What I liked:
- Whilst the visuals and sound design aren’t perfect I still enjoyed them because they created a survial-type atmosphere which made the gameplay more exciting.
- The world in which the racing takes place is quite big and I liked the option of being able to freeroam because it gives the game some replaybility.
- There are a decent variety of vehicles for you to try out and most of them are fun to get to grips with.
What I didn’t like:
- Unfortunately the game suffers with quite a few technichal issues and these issues do impact on the game’s fun factor and immersion levels quite a bit.
- The physics in the game feel awkward and don’t do what you expect them to do which does have an impact when it comes to realism.
- I would’ve have liked much more in terms of a tutorial because in my opinion the tutorial present in the game is far too basic and I never felt confident tackling the game.
- The high difficulty of the game can be a massive problem at times and it does make carrying on feel like a chore from time to time.
Does Dakar 18 do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all Dakar 18 is unlike any racing/rally game I’ve ever played before and sometimes this uniqueness makes the game fun to play, but unfortunately as it stands at the moment the game just has too many problems which ultimately hold it back in the end. I will say though that if they iron out these little problems like the bugs that are present in the game then I can see Dakar 18 being very appealing to fans of the Dakar series. I do think though that the game is very niche and I’ll admit now that I didn’t know much about the Dakar series before playing this game. This however didn’t stop me from seeing the good points because when in full flow racing around the vast world in the various vehicles is actually pretty fun even if the physics don’t make any sense. Unfortunately though this isn’t enough to get Dakar 18 a recommendation from me but if the developers sort out a couple of problems then it will probably do enough to get a recommendation from me because the core idea is very unique indeed.
I rate Dakar 18 5.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: BIGMOON ENTERTAINMENT
Publisher: Deep Silver
Release Date (Xbox One): September 26, 2018