What I liked:
- The presentation side of the game is retro through and through and not only have both the visuals and sound design been done well but they have charm galore.
- In terms of content the game has a surprising amount which in the end will no doubt satisfy you due to the variety each mode has.
- I was very impressed with how well the vehicles handle in the game and the ever responsive controls means there’s plenty of fun to be had here.
- There’s nostalgia dotted throughout the game and racing with your friends provides you with tons of enjoyable moments and replaybility.
- There’s a decent variety of cars for you to try out and they’ve done a decent job of making each car feel different.
What I didn’t like:
- Unfortunately the game doesn’t offer you much in terms of customisation and not being able to chop and change things was a little bit disappointing.
- I found it very difficult to find an online race and when I did manage to find one there were a few issues every now and then.
Does Super Pixel Racers do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all back in the day I loved the top-down racing genre and over recent years we’ve seen a few new additions that have made their way to the Xbox One. Some have been good and some have been bad but without a doubt the newest addition called Super Pixel Racers is probably the best game I’ve played in this genre in recent years. Everything about this game screams retro and with that comes a ton of nostalgia. The presentation side of the game ticked a lot of boxes for me and if I had the option of being able to customise my vehicle then the presentation side of the game would’ve been perfect. Thankfully though the gameplay is perfect and I must admit that I was surprised by how responsive the controls and vehicles were. Another thing that surprised me was the amount of the content the game has. This content isn’t dull either because each mode has a ton of variety and when you combine that with the diverse vehicles you end up with a game that has a lot in terms of replaybility. At the end of the day then Super Pixel Racers is a game that gets a very big recommendation from me and if you have any interest in retro racers at all then you owe yourself to get this game.
I rate Super Pixel Racers 8.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: 21c Ducks co., Ltd.
Publisher: H2 Interactive Co., Ltd./PQube Ltd.
Release Date (Xbox One): October 31, 2018