What I liked:
- The gameplay features a number of different mechanics that combine together extremely well culminating in a very addictive experience.
- There’s quite a bit of exploration to be had in the game and this freedom keeps the gameplay fresh and interesting for most of your time in the game.
- I really enjoyed finding all the different secrets and upgrades because each secret and upgrade has been done well and in the end it’s rewarding when you find them.
- In terms of content the game has a decent amount for you to get to grips with and the best thing is that the content has a ton of variety within it.
- The presentation side of the game ticks a lot of boxes for me and in my opinion both the visuals and sound design further enhance the gameplay in some ways.
What I didn’t like:
- There isn’t really anything new to do that the previous game didn’t already have.
- Whilst the campaign has a decent length to it a few more modes would’ve been nice because what’s here is fantastic.
Does SteamWorld Dig 2 do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all back in 2015 there was a surprise entry in my favourite game’s of the year list and that surprise entry was SteamWorld Dig. As you can imagine then I have waited eagerly over the past three years for the second instalment to come out, and thankfully SteamWorld Dig 2 was well worth the wait. It doesn’t offer anything different over the original nor did it need to do because everything feels finely tuned this time around and in some ways this makes this game even more enjoyable than the first. Once again the core aspect of this game is to dig and find secrets and there are plenty of secrets and upgrades for you to find along the way. Digging isn’t the only mechanic in play because the game features other mechanics as well, which might I add have been done to perfection. In terms of content the game has a decent amount for you to get to grips with but that still doesn’t seem enough because the game gets you that addicted that you just want more and more. I was however still satisfied with the amount of content available to me because exploring never ever gets dull or boring, which is great. At the end of the day then SteamWorld Dig 2 could very well be one of my favourite games this year again and if you enjoyed the first game then this is an absolute must buy.
I rate SteamWorld Dig 2 9/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Image & Form Games
Publisher: Image & Form Games
Genre: Action Adventure/Platformer
Release Date (Xbox One): November 21, 2018