What I liked:
- There’s a ton of customisation available in all areas and this touch of freedom actually progresses into making you feel that your managing everything for real.
- Whilst the presentation side of the game can lack polish at times I feel that both the visuals and sound design give the gameplay an arcadey yet unique style.
- The gameplay on the whole held up really well throughout my time with the game and playing football always felt fun and rewarding because of this.
- I was very impressed with the amount of depth the franchise mode had and I can see this definitely making me want to return back to the game time and time again.
What I didn’t like:
- Unfortunately there are no licensed teams and whilst I don’t see this as a major problem it may be off-putting for some.
- There are a no online components present in the game which is a shame because I think it would’ve benefited the game a lot.
- Tweaking and changing different things can be quite complicated at the start so I did get frustrated every now and then.
Does Axis Football 2018 do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all when you think of American football in the gaming world all that springs to your mind is Madden and whilst I do find the Madden games enjoyable I can’t help but think that they need some competition. Axis Football 2018 whilst not in the same league as Madden will provide some competition because unlike Madden you have a franchise mode where you can literally tailor everything to how you want it and for me that’s Axis Football 2018’s unique selling point. Obviously the franchise mode wouldn’t just be enough to sell the game to you so I’m pleased to say that the gameplay is actually pretty good and it held up well throughout my time with the game. Don’t expect though to be playing with teams you know because they obviously don’t have any licenses but I didn’t see this as much of a problem. In fact the game’s only real problem is that it lacks polish in certain areas at times and I think not having an online component of some sort may be off-putting for some. That being said I’m very impressed with Axis Football 2018 because you can tell right from the get go that a lot of thought and effort has gone into this game. This then means that the game gets a solid thumbs up from me and if you want to try something different than Madden then I thoroughly recommend that you give this game a go.
I rate Axis Football 2018 7.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Axis Games
Publisher: Axis Games
Release Date (Xbox One): November 30, 2018