What I liked:
- The presentation side has been done really well and being able to switch between different visual styles was a nice addition.
- They’ve done justice with the remaster for the most part because they’ve remained true to the original game whilst also giving it a modern touch as well.
- I really enjoyed the level design because even though they’re on the small side there is secrets to find which makes each level feel rewarding.
- There’s a decent variety of weapons and power-ups you can buy during your time with the game and they’ve done a good job of making each one feel important.
What I didn’t like:
- Some aspects of the game haven’t aged well and these aspects can cause you to become frustrated every now and then.
- The bosses were a little disappointing due to a lack of variety present in them which meant nothing much stands out in these battles.
- Whilst the game has a decent amount of weapons for you to purchase this unfortunately still doesn’t stop the combat from getting repetetive.
Does GODS Remastered do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all it’s hard to imagine that GODS is over 20 years old because that makes me feel older than I already feel. My age aside I was looking forward to experience the remaster because I remember that the original game was both fun and very unforgiving. Thankfully they’ve managed to keep this successful formula and whilst it’s not the best remaster I’ve ever played I appreciate the effort that has gone into keeping it original whilst also retaining a modern touch as well. This modern touch then comes in the form of its presentation which has been done well. You don’t have to play it like this though because the game also offers you the original presentation which I must admit was a nice touch. In terms of the gameplay there are some pros and cons. The pros come in the form of good level design and a decent amount of weapons for you to purchase along the way. Unfortunately the cons aren’t too far behind and they come in the form of certain aspects not aging very well and the fact that the combat gets very repetetive quite quickly despite the amount of weapons available to you. That being said GODS Remastered does just enough to warrant a recommendation from me and if you enjoyed the original game then I’m quite sure that you’ll find some enjoyment here despite its shortcomings.
I rate GODS Remastered 6.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Robot Riot UG
Publisher: Robot Riot UG
Release Date (Xbox One): December 4, 2018