What I liked:
- The presentation side of the game is absolutely incredible in my opinion because both the visuals and sound design give the gameplay so much character.
- I love the freedom you get it the gameplay because discovering things all on your own is not only satisfying but rewarding as well.
- Each different mechanic plays a big part in the grand scheme of things and when they all come together it really does deliver a fantastic experience to you.
- In terms of content the game has a lot for you to get to grips with and this content is varied and has enough depth to keep you intrigued throughout.
- Crafting in the game actually feels important and it adds to the overall survival elements quite a lot.
What I didn’t like:
- If you don’t like really difficult game’s then this will frustrate you a lot because the game’s difficulty is pretty unforgiving.
- There’s a few technichal issues that pop up every now and then which can take away from your experience at times.
- It can get a little tedious after a while due to the game’s slow-pace.
Does BELOW do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all I must admit that I never expected BELOW to ever come out because it felt like it had been in development forever, but thankfully it has finally made its way to the Xbox One. For the most part it was well worth the wait as well but it isn’t perfect and a few shortcomings do stop it from reaching its full potential. That being said it gets far more right than it gets wrong and when in full flow the game takes you on an incredible journey. At its core this game is all about survival but there are also other mechanics in play as well. Each mechanic in the game plays a very important role and I’m pleased to say that they’ve all been done well. Crafting feels as important as it should be and the freedom the game gives you is second to none. Whilst the freedom is very good it does add to the overall difficulty of the game though which is unforgiving for the most part. The technical issues don’t help matters either but thankfully these are very few and far between. Despite these issues BELOW still gets a very big thumbs up from me though because it immerses you immensely and it doesn’t seem to let go even at its slowest points. This then means that your adventure is always fruitful and fans of these specific games will love what BELOW brings to the table.
I rate BELOW 8/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Capy Games
Publisher: Capy Games
Release Date (Xbox One): December 14, 2018