What I liked:
- I really enjoyed what the story brought to the table because it had a range of different emotions present and it remained interesting throughout.
- The presentation side of the game ticked a number of different boxes for me and I thoroughly enjoyed both the visuals and sound design.
- There’s a decent amount of variety present in the crafting elements in the game which meant crafting very rarely became boring.
- Exploration in the game always felt rewarding and I think that was mainly down to the amount of freedom that was given to me when exploring.
- I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of depth the combat had and learning new skills along the way kept things fresh and interesting for longer.
What I didn’t like:
- Whilst the game gets easier over time it is rather difficult at the beginning which does cause you to experience a few frustrating moments at times.
- You’re required to do quite a bit of backtracking which can make traversing a little tedious from time to time.
Does Smoke and Sacrifice do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all Smoke and Sacrifice was a game that I already knew quite a bit about because I had already experienced some of the game on my friends PC. That being said I still didn’t know about the game fully so I was pleased to learn that it was making its way to the Xbox One and the parts I didn’t know about didn’t disappoint. Certainly one thing that didn’t disappoint was the story and to say it remained charming and interesting throughout my time with the game would be a massive understatement. The gameplay has also been done extremely well with the crafting and combat mechanics combining together flawlessly for the most part. Speaking about the combat I must admit that I didn’t expect it to have as much depth as it had and the different skills you could obtain did make me relieved a little. The reason why they made me relieved is because the game can be quite unforgiving and a little frustrating at the start so the new skills did ease my frustration when it came to the difficulty and backtracking that’s required. Thankfully though these are the game’s only problems and everything else has pretty much been done to perfection. At the end of the day then recommending Smoke and Sacrifice to you is very easy to do and if you enjoy a good RPG that features a few unique inclusions dotted around then without a doubt you’ll fully enjoy what this game has to offer.
I rate Smoke and Sacrifice 8/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Solar Sail Games
Publisher: Curve Digital
Genre: Action RPG
Release Date (Xbox One): January 15, 2019