What I liked:
- The presentation side of the game ticks all of the right boxes and for me both the visuals and sound design made the gameplay even more immersive.
- I really enjoyed the story in the game because it managed to remain interesting throughout and it also made me fall in love with the series again.
- In terms of content there is more than enough to keep you satisfied for a while and the campaign delivers action throughout its entirety.
- Controlling and getting into combat with your jet is a thrilling ordeal and I must admit that I was surprised by how much depth the combat had.
- There’s a number of improvements and upgrades you can attach to your jet and this personal touch definitely made the game come alive for me more.
- Technically the game didn’t have many problems if any at all and I was especially impressed with the fluid and responsive controls that have been implemented.
What I didn’t like:
- I did get a little frustrated every now and then and failing a mission on one small mistake was certainly an eye-opener.
Does Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all Ace Combat is a series that I love from the bottom of my heart because nobody does flying combat quite like these series of games. As you can imagine then to say I was looking forward to Ace Combat 7 would be a massive understatement and thankfully my high expectations were met and then some because I’m not exaggerating when I say that Ace Combat 7 is the best the series has seen so far. From the get go then you can choose from a lot of different content but I recommend that you go straight to the campaign first because each mission combined with the fantastic story takes you on an unforgettable journey. Obviously the most important thing of a game of this ilk is not the story but of course its flying elements and thankfully I’m pleased to say that the combat and flying feels better than ever. Technically the game also delivers in all areas and not once did I get down by the tight and responsive controls. In terms of problems then the game doesn’t really have any and my only slight issue is that the game’s difficulty can spike out of nowhere from time to time, but I was easily able to look past this. At the end of the day then Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown has made this fantastic franchise come alive again and it’s catered to both newcomers and veterans alike which means anybody can get involved, and when it’s all said and done I can’t recommend this game enough to you.
I rate Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown 9.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: BANDAI NAMCO Studios Inc.
Publisher: BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
Release Date (Xbox One): January 18, 2019