What I liked:
- The presentation side of the game whilst not the best looking and sounding sport game available is pretty decent and does a good job of delivering an immersive atmosphere.
- There are a decent amount of modes for you to get to grips with and the added inclusion of online means there is some replaybilty present.
- I found the game focused a lot on the teamwork side of things and when you win a game you get a very rewarding feeling because of this.
What I didn’t like:
- Getting used to the controls was an absolute nightmare and I also found that they weren’t always responsive as they should’ve been as well.
- Unfortunately the game suffers with a few too many technical issues which do hold the game back considerably.
- In terms of realism the game is a little off and this does make you become frustrated quite a lot.
- I found the career mode to be a little disappointing due to the lack of depth.
- Every game basically feels the same which means it gets repetetive very quickly if played for long periods.
Does Spike Volleyball do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all I am a big sports fan and of course that means I like sports games too so I will try any sports game out. Volleyball though isn’t a sport I know much about nor is it a sport I’ve played much on consoles either so I went into playing Spike Volleyball with a limited idea as to what to expect. After playing it for a short while though it became evident quite quickly that this game needs quite a lot of work. The presentation is not too bad at all but you lose sight of this quite quickly due to the array of technical issues you have to combat. The immersion levels are further dwindled by the lack of realism as well and when you combine that with the horrible controls you end up becoming frustrated instead of having fun. This is a shame as well because when played with friends there is some fun to be had and I did enjoy some of the modes that were present in the game, but with every game basically feeling the same I lost interest quite quickly because it’s just too repetetive. At the end of the day then despite me not knowing much about volleyball games I must admit that I still was expecting much more from Spike Volleyball. Recommending this game then is quite difficult because it just has too many problems at this moment in time which means in the end that the game is simply not fun and enjoyable enough.
I rate Spike Volleyball 4.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Black Sheep
Publisher: Bigben Interactive
Release Date (Xbox One): February 5, 2019