What I liked:
- The presentation side of the game definitely has a uniqueness about it which in turn makes both the visuals and sound design stand out.
- There’s a ton of replaybilty present in the game and it stays fresh and interesting as well thanks to the procedurally generated rooms you come across throughout.
- Technically the game held up really well throughout my time with it and the controls always remained fluid which kept the frustration levels down.
- Everything about the combat elements feels unique and you have quite a bit of depth present here which makes defeating each enemy very satisfying.
What I didn’t like:
- Even though it doesn’t feel unfair the difficulty of the game can be a little overbearing at times and this does frustrate you a little.
- There isn’t really any story for you to get to grips with and in my opinion this does make the immersion levels dwindle a little bit.
- I found the cooldown period after using a weapon to be too long and this did cause me a few problems during my time with the game.
Does Unexplored: Unlocked Edition do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all a good dungeon crawler should deliver an addictive experience and make you want to return back to it time and time again even if you have lost all of the loot you’ve gathered due to dying. Thankfully Unexplored: Unlocked Edition delivers just that and whilst there are better dungeon crawlers out there this is a decent addition to the genre. One of the main reasons why it’s a decent addition is down to the uniqueness that’s present within it. This uniqueness then can be found in both the visuals and sound design and when you combine that with the very interesting procedurally generated rooms the replaybilty the game has is great to say the least. I will warn you though that you will get a little frustrated every now and then because the difficulty can be a little overbearing at times and little things like the cooldown period when you’ve used your weapons can be annoying. That being said I was still able to look past these issues and I’m glad I did because the combat elements are very rewarding at all times. I was also pleased to see that the technical side of the game didn’t throw up any issues and the controls always remained fluid and responsive as well. At the end of the day then Unexplored: Unlocked Edition does more than enough to get a recommendation from me because it features all the things I like from a dungeon crawler and I’m sure fans of these types of game’s will find something they love within this game.
I rate Unexplored: Unlocked Edition 7.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Nephilim Game Studios/Ludomotion
Publisher: Digerati Distribution
Genre: Action Adventure/Shoot-‘Em-Up
Release Date (Xbox One): February 22, 2019