What I liked:
- Each different mechanic adds something to the overall gameplay and they also combine flawlessly for the most part which in turn keeps things fun.
- The story has a surprising amount of depth to it and I must admit that I didn’t expect the humour that’s present in it to be as funny as it was.
- I found that the presentation side of the game ticked a lot of boxes for me and I liked how both the visuals and sound design had a retro and modern feel to them.
- There’s a decent amount of variety present in the gameplay and defeating the various enemies always felt rewarding.
What I didn’t like:
- I found the camera in the game to be a little too limited and more freedom here would’ve been nice.
- In terms of length the game is a little on the short side compared to other game’s in this specific genre.
- The difficulty curve can spike out of nowhere from time to time and this does make some levels more frustrating than they should’ve been.
Does Attack of the Earthlings do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all whilst I can see some likenesses to that of XCOM in my opinion Attack of the Earthlings mixes things up more and features more mechanics and whilst it may not be as good as the aforementioned XCOM it still stands out quite a lot making it a worthy addition to the genre. As mentioned earlier this game features an array of different mechanics and I must admit that I was impressed with each of the different elements because each one brings something good to the overall gameplay. There’s also a decent amount of variety present in the different mechanics as well and this is a very good thing because it makes you want to return back to the game time and time again even though the difficulty was a little problematic at times. In terms of content the game doesn’t have a huge amount and you can literally complete this game in one sitting which was a little disappointing. Despite the short length though the content is pretty decent and it features a story that’s packed full of humour and this not only keeps things fresh and interesting throughout but it also makes the gameplay even more fun than it already is. At the end of the day then if you like game’s that feature an XCOM style then I’m sure you’ll thoroughly enjoy what Attack of the Earthlings brings to the table because even though it has a few shortcomings here and there it gets the most important aspects spot on and this makes recommending the game quite an easy thing to do.
I rate Attack of the Earthlings 7.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: Team Junkfish
Publisher: Wales Interactive
Release Date (Xbox One): March 5, 2019