What I liked:
- It has been that long since I played the original that I forgot just how enjoyable the story was and once again it kept me invested from start to finish.
- Even though the presentation side of the game is dated both the visuals and sound design still manage to capture a fantastic atmosphere throughout.
- The speed mechanic that’s been added to this edition is a welcome addition because if things get a little tedious you can fast forward past them.
- In my opinion the gameplay and mechanics have aged really well and this in turn made me realise just how good this game was back in the day.
- If you’re looking for an RPG with lots of content then this will tick a number of boxes for you because there’s a lot of varied content to keep you occupied.
- Anybody looking for nostalgia will thoroughly enjoy this because even though there are a few modern touches it still manages to capture the original feeling.
What I didn’t like:
- The game suffers with a few technical issues every now and then which can be a little annoying.
Does Final Fantasy VII do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all in my opinion Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game this fantastic franchise has delivered to us so far and it was always a dream of mine to see it making its way to a Microsoft console. Thankfully that dream of mine has come true and playing through Final Fantasy VII again makes me realise why I love this game so much. I will admit to you now that I had forgotten some parts of the story and to experience them forgotten parts again was a pleasure because the story in this game has stood the test of time. For me the presentation side of the game has also stood the test of time and whilst it does look and sound dated at times there’s still so much atmosphere created from both the visuals and sound design. In terms of the gameplay I think each of the different mechanics that are present have aged extremely well and playing through the tons of content stayed fun and interesting throughout my time with the game. It was also nice to see a couple of new additions present in the gameplay because the speed mechanic in particular gives the gameplay a more modern feel and it also stops things from getting tedious. At the end of the day then Final Fantasy VII is an absolute must buy for any fans of the RPG genre. In fact the game is that good that I would recommend it to people who aren’t fans of this specific genre because it just gets so much right and as far as ports go Final Fantasy VII doesn’t suffer with many if any problems at all.
I rate Final Fantasy VII 9.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Developer: SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
Publisher: SQUARE ENIX
Release Date (Xbox One): March 26, 2019