What I liked:
- The story whilst not having a ton of depth to it remained interesting from start to finish and the characters within it had quite a bit of charm as well.
- I really enjoyed the old-school feel the visuals delivered to me and the accompanying sound design combined well with the visuals.
- In terms of content the game has quite a bit for you to be getting on with and there’s just enough variety present to keep proceedings fresh enough.
- Whilst the crafting and cooking elements don’t feel super important I found them to give the gameplay an extra layer.
- Each boss battle carried with it a great sense of achievement and this made the battles both exciting and fun to complete.
What I didn’t like:
- The battle elements can take a little bit of getting used to so expect to experience a few frustrating moments when getting the hang of things.
- I found the puzzle elements to be far too simple and I don’t think they really added anything to the gameplay in the grand scheme of things.
Does Frane: Dragons’ Odyssey do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all I’ve enjoyed the games that Kemco have brought to the Xbox One that much that I find myself constantly checking to see if any other game from them is on the horizon. As you can imagine then when I learn that there is a game from Kemco due to make a release I get very excited, and once again I’m pleased to say that their new release Frane: Dragons’ Odyssey is again another thoroughly enjoyable adventure. If you’ve enjoyed this publisher’s past entries then you’ll also enjoy this game because it features the same style that I’ve become very fond of. This style then features an interesting story and a visual style that gets accompanied with some decent sound design along the way. In terms of the gameplay your main aim is to battle various enemies and tackle bosses that have not only been designed extremely well but pose a challenge that feels very rewarding to complete. The gameplay also features some crafting and cooking elements as well and whilst I was a little disappointed with the puzzles that were present this didn’t really have any impact on my enjoyment within the decent amount of content this game delivers to you. At the end of the day then Frane: Dragons’ Odyssey is one of my most favourite games that Kemco has delivered to me so far and that’s pretty impressive considering I’ve enjoyed each game they’ve brought out. Recommendating this game to you then is very easy indeed because it gets so much right and this game definitely makes me look forward to see what game this publisher brings out next.
I rate Frane: Dragons’ Odyssey 8.5/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Release Date (Xbox One): April 5, 2019