What I liked:
- The presentation side of the game is actually pretty decent because both the visuals and sound design do a good job of creating a tense atmosphere.
- At times the gameplay does a good job of making you feel completely helpless because there never seems to be enough ammo and having to find the ammo does keep things tense.
What I didn’t like:
- Technically the game suffers with a myriad of problems and these problems do hold the game back considerably throughout.
- The gameplay doesn’t have much depth to it at all which in turn meant the gameplay became very tedious very quickly.
- Traversing in the game is an absolute nuisance because no matter how hard you try you always seem to move at a snail’s pace.
- I found the story to be very boring and it didn’t at any point grip me in any way throughout my time with the game.
- Each element of the combat has been poorly done and when you add in the backtracking that’s required all you end up becoming is frustrated.
Does Hollow do enough to get a recommendation from me?
All in all I’ve always been a fan of games that have a space setting because for some reason this setting has always creeped me out due to the hopelessness you feel when traversing your surroundings. Thankfully over the years there’s been some classic games that have featured this setting but Hollow the new release on the Xbox One isn’t one of them games. Yes the presentation side of the game does a good job of creating a tense atmosphere but after that all that you’re left with is a complete mess and no matter where you turn there always seems to be a bug or a technical issue in your way. These issues wouldn’t be as bad if the game featured some decent gameplay but unfortunately it doesn’t because there’s a complete lack of depth in a number of areas. Traversing back and forth doesn’t help matters either because you move at an incredibly slow-pace and in the end this just makes you become even more frustrated. The combat elements aren’t much better either and whilst the enemies aren’t too bad you’ll never find defeating them to be very satisfying because they are either far too easy or far too hard to defeat. In terms of content the game doesn’t have much at all which is probably a blessing because the content it does have is very boring to say the least. The story is also boring as well and not once did I find myself fully invested in proceedings because it does nothing to really grip you. At the end of the day then Hollow is one of them games that I fully recommend that you steer clear of because it just gets so much wrong. It doesn’t get much right either and in the end all this game manages to deliver to you is a technical shambles filled with lots of boring gameplay.
I rate Hollow 3/10.
Written by: gerrardnum8 (Dean Martin)
Publisher: Forever Entertainment S. A.
Genre: Action & Adventure
Release Date (Xbox One): June 14, 2019